Sep 2, 2012

I want to run!!

I'm back finally. After moving and starting work things all hit at once and I really needed to escape from my mind for a bit. 

Since leaving Washington, my motivation for running tanked. First it was the move and being away from my friends and then I lost my job which created financial stress and a whirlwind job hunt, I just didn't want to run. It was hot and humid and I was out of it.
I love these brick sidewalks in town
But....I found my motivation on Saturday!!!!!! I am so excited to tell you all about this. After coming to terms with my lack of motivation, I decided to focus my energy on volunteering for something. I believe in volunteer work. I feel that no matter where you are in life, how much money you have (or don't have in my case), or how busy you are, volunteering should be something that everyone attempts to do. 

I found a group looking for volunteers to run once a week with cancer survivors as motivators and pace keepers. The program is called Cancer to 5k. Each fall and spring, a group of cancer survivors are coached through a 12 week running program to run a 5k race at the end. I went on Saturday morning and was partnered with a survivor and we did a little under 3 miles along the water in Baltimore. We ran at her pace and talked and laughed and the miles went by super fast. I had a blast. I cannot wait until next Saturday!!
I didn't have one from Baltimore so this is one from a different day, such
a pretty, sparkly mosaic
When I got home I needed to run a few more miles to complete 5 miles for the day. I did a slightly faster pace  than I did this morning because I was running a shorter distance. Again, it was great. I felt great. I felt relaxed. I felt happy for the first time in a long time. It didn't feel so much like work but more like something I was doing for fun. The best news. I switched back to my brooks and wrapped my ankle with an ace bandage and my ankle felt fine the whole time and even today everything feels great. 
5 miles done!
Today is a rest day to prevent injury but I want to run so stinking bad and it makes me happy that I have that desire back. 

As far the blog goes, I am going to try to update it 3 times a week for now, which is about how many times I run each week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment